Stagecoach Days coming back, 1 day only

The Wyoming public safety tent is a popular attraction at Stagecoach Days.

Like a lot of events this summer, Stagecoach Days in Wyoming is coming back Saturday, Sept. 18, with a one-day celebration instead of the traditional two-day event at the intersection of East Viking and Felton Avenue in Wyoming.

Event coordinators this year are Wyoming firefighters Travis Parson and Kenny Hyrkas.

“The event is a fundraiser for the Wyoming firefighter retirement fund, and 80% of the money raised goes to that and the other 20% we split up into a flower fund,” Hurkas said. The flower fund is an after-the-fire fund set up for a family if they lose their home in a Wyoming fire, he noted. “They get a hotel room, which is paid for three nights, and Walmart and Target gift cards. We also donate to the local nonprofits if they come looking for a donation,” he said.

The event, which kicks off at 10 a.m. with the annual parade, is put on by the city of Wyoming and the Wyoming Fire Department. “We will have games, music, food vendors, crafts and much more,” Parson said.

Something new this year is Coach purse bingo, hosted by the Forest Lake Area Athletic Association (FLAAA) where prizes will be awarded including a Coach purse. (I am waiting for clarifcation on how many purses) The Wyoming Lions Club will also host traditional bingo at 3 p.m.

Musician Marty Sonnek will perform his one-man band show from 4 to 7 p.m. “He’s a local guy and plays a bunch of instruments. He’s really good at what he does, and is very talented,” Hyrkas said.

The Minnesota band Sweet Siren that tours the Greater Minnesota area will perform from 8 p.m.

to midnight. “They have quite a variety of songs that they play, and they have great reviews,”

 Parson said.

The beer garden will open at noon and the bean bag (cornhole) tournament will begin at noon in the beer garden.

Hyrkas said players must be 18 or older to play, and it costs $40 per team (two people on each team). People can sign up online or at Cornerstone Pub and Prime in Wyoming. Prizes are Cornerstone gift cards; there is room for 32 teams.

There will be a bounce house for the kids. Parents can buy an all-day individual wrist band online for $15 or pay $20 at the door.

The Wyoming Police Department will have an impaired driving course set up for licensed drivers. “They have them wear goggles to see what it’s like to drive while you’re impaired,” Parson said.

Rosenbauer, a fire truck manufacturing company, will have fancy fire trucks at the event and the Wyoming Public Works Department will have a front-end loader and plow truck at the “touch-a-truck” area. “The kids love it because they can crawl over the truck’s cab and get a good look at them. The stuff they play with at home are small, and here they get to play with the big trucks,” Parson said.

Parson said there a variety of food vendors and food trucks lined up for the event so people won’t go home hungry.

A Life Link helicopter is scheduled to land that day, but Parson said it depends on how busy they are or if they get an emergency call. “If they do land, the crew will come out and people can come and talk to them and they can look at the helicopter,” he said.

The event will end with a fireworks show at Goodview Park. Parson said people should bring lawn chairs or blankets.

“It’s a weather-dependent event for us, and we always pray for good weather,” Hyrkas said.

For more information and to sign up for the bean bag tournament or purchase wrist bands for the bounce house, go to wyomingfirereliefassociation.com.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.